Please note that while we are fairly remote, we are only registered in certain states within the US including the following: CA, CO, WA, OR, TX, IL, NY, NJ, MA
Nylas is a pioneer and leading provider of universal communications APIs that allow developers to quickly connect their applications to every email, calendar, or contacts provider in the world. Over 40,000 developers around the globe use the Nylas communications platform to process over 1.2 billion API requests and 15TB of data per day from providers such as Gmail, Microsoft Exchange, Outlook, Yahoo! and more.
Who We Are
Nylas was founded in 2013 by a couple of MIT graduates who were passionate about making complex systems simpler. Co-founder and CTO Christine Spang saw that email use was growing at a steady rate, yet there wasn't a simple way to unify this data-rich tool in a way that developers could easily integrate with this data. She and a small team (at the time) set out to fix this. Fast-forward to 2020, Nylas has successfully raised funding from Spark Capital, 8VC, ScaleUP, Round13, Citi Ventures, Slack Fund, Data Collective, Fuel Capital, and SV Angel. Nylas customers span from large enterprises such as Hyundai, Fox News Corp, Hubspot and Move.com to high-growth start-ups like Dialpad, Pipedrive, Lexicata, and Sparkpost.
Our Work Philosophy
Nylas is also big believers in the safety and well-being of our employees and society, which is why we are onboarding all new Nylanauts remotely during this global pandemic until there is a vaccine and it is safe for humans to resume their pre-COVID lifestyles.
AND once COVID-19 pandemic eventually comes to an end, we will continue to embrace Remote First philosophy, with a minor twist: Remote First, Office Second. That's right! It's about how you work, not where you work. Nylanauts can choose any workspace or environment that will result in more ideas, engagement, creativity, focus, collaboration, and productivity. It's true. They can go anywhere as long as they respect the working hours (time zones) of their team. Wherever motivates them; inspires them to be better versions of themselves. This means Nylanauts can work from the slopes of Missoula before traveling to the beaches of San Diego. Wonderful!
And if Nylanauts want to work from an office in one of our hubs (San Francisco, Denver, New York City, Toronto, and London), they can. Go ahead! The workspace is there to be utilized.
Why Remote First, Office Second? Because we not only believe in respecting individual working styles, disabilities, and personal schedules, but also ensuring everyone has a better work-life balance. The outcomes will always be more important than the physical location.
So, if you're looking to join a fast-growing company with a beloved, daily-use product, and an authentic mission that puts people first, we want to meet you. Want to know more? Check us out on Comparably and Great Place to Work!
Fastest Growing Companies (Inc 500)
2020 Great Place to Work (Great Place to Work)
2020 Best Places for Professional Development (Comparably)
2020 Happiest Employees (Comparably)
2020 Best Companies for Compensation (Comparably)
2020 Best Companies for Perks & Benefits (Comparably)
2020 Best Companies for Work-Life Balance (Comparably)
Nylas is searching for a Controller to join our Finance team. The ideal candidate is someone who inspires a high-performing accounting team, but can also embrace ambiguity and loves solving problems. This individual will report directly to the CFO, and will be responsible for directing the global accounting activities at Nylas.
What You'll Do
* Lead, support, and develop the accounting team while driving efficiency & automation to keep up with the demands of a high-growth business
* Oversee the accounting process for accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, GL activities, consolidations and compliance
* Oversee and own the monthly, quarterly, and year-end close processes including detailed analysis and reconciliation of all general ledger accounts and preparation of financial statements in compliance with U.S. GAAP
* Deliver accurate and timely results reporting to management, shareholders, investors, and the Board of Directors
* Lead relationships with external auditors, accounting/tax advisors, and internal controls
* Manage technical accounting questions and updates
* Provide support for the annual budgeting and planning process
* Streamline, maintain & improve processes and internal controls
* Responsible for annual external audit preparation and oversight
* Prepare the company for public company accounting and reporting standards (e.g. SEC reporting and SOX compliance)
* Team leadership through active recruiting and managing of talent including, motivating, coaching, training and mentoring team members
What You'll Bring
* Minimum 10 years of experience with a mix of public accounting and public or private company experience, preferably in a high-growth SaaS/tech company
* CPA required
* Strong ERP systems experience, ERP systems implementation experience +
* High proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Google Suite
* Strong knowledge of US GAAP, SEC rules and regulations, and reporting requirements
* Strong communication, both written and verbal, able to communicate complex concepts and risk factors to stakeholders and influence decision making
* Excellent knowledge in assessing, developing, and implementing internal controls
* Experience with IPO readiness, multi-jurisdictional tax, internal controls, and SOX compliance
* Experience navigating a hyper-growth, rapidly changing, and often ambiguous environment
* Proven experience building, developing, mentoring, and inspiring a high performing professional accounting team
* Preferred: Prior experience building and executing a series B or C SaaS-based business model and deep understanding of relevant KPIs
* Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO): we take this very seriously as we care about the well-being of our employees
* Healthcare: 90% of medical, dental and vision coverage for you and your family
* Retirement Plan: 401k & RRSP with a company match (super rare for a startup)
* Holidays: 14 paid annual holidays (New Year's Day, Family Day, President's Day, Good Friday, Indigenous People's Day, etc)
* Education Stipend: annual education & development benefit
* Paid Parental Leave: 12 weeks parental leave (maternity & paternity)
* Voting/Election PTO: 4 hours of paid time off to vote in person or volunteer at a polling place
Nylas is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Nylas is registered, you will not be eligible for employment. Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Nylas is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also EEO is the Law.